Role-Playing Game Master Trainee (Spokane Area) (Volunteer)
Role-Playing Game Master for Weekly RPG Programs (Spokane Area) (Volunteer, on-site only (no remote))
- If you are applying for the remote Game Master training, please use this page if you are a Washington State resident: https://rpgresearch.com/jobs/game-master (sorry, due to insurance restrictions, we cannot currently accept new trainees outside of Washington state, we need significantly more donations to cover the insurance to resolve this additional $10,000+/year insurance cost)
- If you are applying for the American Sign language Game Master, please use this page instead: https://rpgresearch.com/jobs/game-master-asl
The RPG Center in Spokane needs new Game Master Trainees for our Friday, Saturday, or Sunday programs in West-Central and East-Central Spokane.
Become the best role-playing game master you can become through free training through our exceptional proven programs. We'll save you decades of trial and error. Our programs are supported by over 45 years of research and evidence-in-practice to make you the best Game Master you can be, in the shortest time possible, saving you decades of trial and error through our proven training.
You must be able to attend training and playing in-person, at the RPG Center, 101 North Stone Street, Spokane, WA 99202.
Volunteers receive training for free, in return for helping out with our community programs. This training would be between $10,000 to $30,000 USD at other organizations.
Background check required.
You must be able to attend weekly training session.
Commitment of 4 to 8 hours per week:
- Includes 4 hours of weekly training
- Then every-other week helping facilitate our role-playing game community programs for 1-4 hours (twice a month).
- Read about our Learning Options: https://rpgresearch.com/learning-options
- Typical training program consists of 24 sessions as a player trainee, and then 24 sessions as a GM trainee, see details here: https://www.rpgresearch.com/rpg-trainee-1
Each Game Master will be trained weekly, and attend one community program as additional training per week. This means two four-hour sessions per week, one training session and one playing (and later GMing) session.
The training we provide is free to our volunteers. If you were to pay for the training through commercial organizations like RPG.LLC and others, it would cost you between $15,000 to $30,000 USD, and our volunteers get this training for free!
In return, you help us deliver our role-playing game community programs that help improve participant's functioning and quality of life, thanks to the inherent benefits of cooperative, social, role-playing games.
Training for new accepted candidates begins November 12th, 2022.
You must be able to attend in-person, at the RPG Center, 101 North Stone Street, Spokane, WA 99202
Commitment: Typically 4-6 hours per week, never more than 10 hours per week. Includes 4 hours of training, and then every-other week helping facilitate our role-playing game community programs in the Spokane area for 1-4 hours (2x per month). Training sessions: 24 sessions to receive Level 1 Role-Playing Game Player Diploma, an additional 24 sessions to receive Level 1 Game Master Diploma. You do not need to complete the diploma to begin helping with our community programs. You will be able to begin helping with our programs typically within 3 to 6 weeks after beginning training (assuming one 4-hour training session per week). Some people attend more than one session per week to speed up their training.
At a minimum, you must be able to attend weekly training programs ( initially only available on Saturdays from 8 am to Noon Pacific Time, later we can offer alternate or additional time slots as needed), and help out in various ways twice per month for 1 to 4 hours outside of training.
Additionally, once your background check is completed, and you have finished the first few sessions of our volunteer training, you will help at east 2x per month at the RPG Community Center.
Application, Training, & Participation Process
- Read about the role, responsibilities, requirements, and commitments on this page.
- Click the Apply Now button.
- Complete and send the application form
- Respond to confirmation email verifying your understanding this is an unpaid volunteer position.
- Confirm interview appointment (typically 1 to 8+ weeks after application.
- Pass interview(s).
- Accept verbal offer.
- Accept and sign our Codes of Conduct and Attribution Agreement documents.
- Accept email/written offer.
- Pass background check (at our expense).
- Select and commit to the appropriate volunteer training schedule.
- Select and commit to community program facilitator schedule.
- Purchase the role-playing game professional training workbook (physical printed version recommended to help you track your training progress).
- Attend training session each week.
- Complete 24 Player Training Sessions (also take tests and other requisites if going for training diploma).
- Complete 24 GM Training Sessions (also take tests and other requisites if going for training diploma).
- During and after training period, participate in at least 2 other sessions per month (helping give back to the community) to help with training other volunteer trainees, or our community programs.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Run role-playing game sessions as assistant facilitator or game master.
- Facilitate 1-5 players per 3-4 hour game session.
- Prepare adventures in accordance with RPG Research rules and guidelines, including our Code of Conduct.
- Complete session assessment forms when appropriate.
- Prepare character sheets for participants to choose from.
- Run adventures ranging from "one shots" to ongoing mid-length and long-term campaigns.
- Address any group interpersonal issues, and maintain players compliance with RPG Research Player Code of Conduct.
- Attend in-person at least one free training session per week (4 hours)
- Availability for at least 2 regular group sessions per month (game sessions typically 3-5 hours) (in addition to training sessions).
- Strongly self-motivated
- Strong collaborative work ethic
- Reliable communication and schedule compliance
- MUST BE ABLE TO "GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY" AT LEAST 2 SESSIONS (1 to 4 hours per session) PER MONTH.
- MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND TRAINING SESSIONS EACH WEEK (in person at the Spokane RPG Center).
- Must pass background check before allowed to work with participants outside of RPG Research training labs, or handle sensitive data (usually completed within 90 days of active participation, RPG Research covers the cost of the background check).
- Assertive (not aggressive) presence with confident, warm, friendly, empathetic, and compassionate communication style.
- RELIABLE SCHEDULE COMMITMENT.
- STRONG AND RELIABLE COMMUNICATOR.
- MINIMUM ONE YEAR ACTIVE COMMITMENT.
- MUST BE A WASHINGTON STATE RESIDENT (due to our current insurance limitations, we're working to get this broadened back to our international volunteers, but for now we're limited to Washington state residents only).
Optional but helpful:
- Experienced theatrical acting skills
- Effective voice acting skills
- Background in education
- Background in therapeutic disciplines
- Prior role-playing game experience
Core Competencies (will train):
- Organizational skills
- Group dynamics conflict resolution skills
- Storytelling skills
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Enthusiastic communication style that excites others with your passion about the topics discussed.
- "Can do" attitude, and an eye for seeing where people need help before they have to ask.
- Outgoing presence.
- Well organized approach to preparing for game sessions and tracking participant progress
- Passionate supportive energy
- In-person or online tabletop role-playing game sessions, typically ranging between 2-5 hours (including setup and tear-down).
- Most training sessions are recorded and/or broadcast online (must agree to these terms for all game masters).
- As with all positions at RPG Research, this is an unpaid Volunteer position with no financial compensation.
- Extensive free training.
- Volunteer, Part-time, Temporary, Internship, unpaid.
- Salary: $0 USD
- Years experience working in community centers and similar environments?
- Years tabletop role-playing game master (GM) experience (any RPG system)?
- Years tabletop role-playing game player experience (any RPG system)?
- Do you understand that while most of the beginning training can be provided remotely, that you must be able to attend in-person at least twice per month to "give back to the community"?
- Do you understand that this is an unpaid volunteer position for a 501(c)3 non-profit charity?
- Do you have Therapeutic Recreation / Recreational Therapy experience/training ? (not required, but love to have students and professionals from the TR/RT industry as a great fit!):
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) (not required, but great to have)?
- Years experience with Live Streaming over the Internet?
- Years experience working with at-risk populations?
- Years experience working with people various disabilities?