Amalgamation of News Coverage, Panels, Q&A, Hangouts, Broadcasts, Interviews, & Presentations on RPG Research Studies on the Effects of RPG, and RPG used for Professionals, Therapy, and Education
Below is a combined listing about the RPG Research project, and the project founder Hawke Robinson, including: panel sessions, Q&A sessions, interviews, articles, essays, presentations on the effects of role-playing games, rpg therapy program plans, rpg education, research and examples from using role-playing games to achieve therapeutic and educational goals for many populations including Autism spectrum (ASD/PDD/Asperger's), ADHD, brain injury (TBI, stroke, etc.), spinal cord injury (SCI), at-risk youth, incarcerated youth and adults, the Deaf and hard of hearing, Muscular Dystrophy (MD), Cerebral Palsy (CP), and others.
Listed in reverse order from most recent to oldest
- Tolkien Moot XVII - details pending - www.tolkienmoot.org
- RPG Conference 2021 - details pending - www.rpgconference.org
- ZoeCon ?
- GenCon ?
- ATRA Conference ?
- Podcast interview (Grant's):
- Podcast interview:
- Podcast interview:
- Paper interview:
- Published Paper with Lucy Zheng and others:
- Software Development Platform We Helped Extend TheFantasy.Network Streaming Platform (TFN) to Support Live Worldwide RPG Conventions including GenCon and WorldCon.
- ZoeCon IV -
- Technorama Australia -
- Realm Makers -
- Saved WorldCon 78 from cancellation -
- GenCon 2020 -
- GenCon 2020 Film Festival -
- BCI RPG - Phase 1 completed August 2020. Begin Phase 2 - text-based, menu-driven, custom-built, online, turn-based, BCI-controlled, multiplayer ERPG.
- Tolkien Moot XVI -
- WSTRA Conference
- TolkienMoot XV
- GenCon 2019
- ATRA Conference
- BCI RPG - Phase 1 Begins - August 2019 - NWN module creation prototype training for new ERPG Dev team.
- INTERVIEW - Wizards of the Coast Dragon Talk - January 22nd. http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/wizards-dragon-talk-jan-22-2018
- CONVENTION - ZoeCon III - February 16-18 - https://zoecon.net/
- EVENT - March - Launching new show: "Heroes of the Mist", fundraiser on Twitch.tv/rpgresearch for RPG Research - http://mistheroes.com
- BOARD MEETING - RPG Research Board - March
- CONFERENCE - WSTRA Conference - April
- CONFERENCE - Living Games Conference - May - Boston, Massachusetts
- BOARD MEETING - RPG Research Board - July 6th -
- EVENT - MDA Summer Camp - July - Rathdrum, Idaho
- EVENT - Tolkien Moot XIV - July 21st - Spokane, WA. - www.tolkienmoot.org
- EVENT - SpoCon - August - Spokane, WA. - August 10-12 - www.spocon.org
- TOUR - Great Western RPG Tour - WA, OR, CA, AZ, NV, UT, WY, MT.
- ESSAY - November 2017 - "Using Role-Playing Games to Enhance the Learning Process, from the Cognitive Neuroscience Perspective" - https://www.academia.edu/35290673/Using_Role-Playing_Games_to_Enhance_the_Learning_Process_from_the_Cognitive_Neuropsychology_Perspective - alternate link: https://www.patreon.com/posts/using-role-games-15610091
- INTERVIEW - Columbia Chronicle (Miranda Manier) - Interviewed November 7th - Published November 27th, 2017 - http://www.columbiachronicle.com/arts_and_culture/article_9706e6ee-cf10-11e7-b35e-636cd3e15551.html
- WORKSHOP - RPG Research Drum Circle Facilitation Workshop at Indie Air Radio Concert Hall - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/drum-circle-facilitation-workshop-november-4th-2017-1-3-pm-spokane-wa
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (October) - Currently only available to Patreon supporters, will be available to general public in a few weeks.
- CONVENTION - FanNex.us - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/at-fan-nexus-2017
- AWARD - Trustee of the Year Award, The RPG Brain Trust - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/rpg-brain-trust-2017-trustee
- ORGANIZATION MIILESTONE - RPG Bus purchased -
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (September) - Available to general public shortly.
- INTERVIEW - Men's Health Magazine - Pending publication.
- INTERVIEW - Shippensburg University (Hunter Wolfe) - Pending publication.
- INTERVIEW - Kills Screen - Chris Berg - Tabletop RPGs as Social Therapy - https://killscreen.com/articles/dungeons-mind-tabletop-rpgs-social-therapy/
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE - RPG Research, after 13+ years of operation, is finally incorporated as a Washington State non-profit company. We are not (yet) federally 501(c)3 (that will require considerable funds and time, but it is on our list of milestones to consider reaching for in 2018.
- MONTHLY COMMUNITY PROGRAM - Spark Central - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/about/at-spark-central
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (August) -
- CONVENTION PANEL - Role-playing Gaming as Therapy - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/spocon-role-play-as-therapy
- CONVENTION PANEL - SpoCon - SpoCon - Cultivating Long-term Role-Playing Gaming Groups - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/spocon-long-term-group
- CONVENTION PANEL - SpoCon - Psychology of Gamers & Hackers - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/spocon-2017-psychology-of-gamers-and-hackers
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (July) -
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS LICENSE - Wizards of the Coast provides license to W.A. Hawkes-Robinson and all his organizations to use RPGs for charity, fundraisers, professionally, and commercially, including for-profit services. The first organization in the world to receive this kind of license (as far as we know) - https://www.patreon.com/posts/12241076
- INTERVIEW - High Level Games, Josh Heath - Unpublished? June 2017.
- PROGRAM PLAN - Muscular Dystrophy Association - LARP & TRPG "Battle Royale" July 18, LARP & TRPG "Epic Quest".- (details coming soon).
- PROGRAM TRAINING - Navos Mental Health - RPG Training for care professionals, training schedule pending Summer - (details coming soon).
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (June) -
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE - Acquisition of 22' wheelchair ramp (donated by US Veteran through Muscular Dystrophy Association referral) - http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/rpg-trailer-ramp-extension
- TOUR - RPG Trailer Tour #3 - Washington State Therapeutic Recreation Association annual conference, Bellingham, Washington, Western Washington University - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/tour-3
- VIDEO - Twitch - Legends Through Shadow Trailer - (Hawke as a Dwarf Bard in this weekly D&D 5th Edition Series) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2A-qAEmPLw - Archives: http://www.spokanerpg.com/adventurers-guild/new-adventures
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (May) -
- TOUR - RPG Trailer Tour #2 - Pacific Northwest Therapeutic Recreation Association annual conference, Portland, Oregon - http://www.rpgtrailer.com/about/rpg-trailer-tours/rpg-trailer-tour-2-redux
- VIDEO - Zombie Orpheus Entertainment - Journey Quest, Support the RPG Trailer & RPG Research - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS3Ty7Hn27I
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (April) -
- INTERVIEW (AUDIO) - Ego Check with The Id DM (Michael Mallen) – Episode 7 – Hawke Robinson - https://theiddm.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/ego-check-with-the-id-dm-episode-7-hawke-robinson/
- PROGRAM - Spark Central Community Center -
- BROADCAST - RPG Research Patreon Supporter Broadcast (March) -
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 7
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 6
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 5
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 4
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 3
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 2
- PODCAST - RPG Research Podcast Episode 1
- INTERVIEW (Facebook broadcast): KREM2 / Northwest Cable News broadcast on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KREM2/videos/10153881882091301/
- INTERVIEW (TV broadcast & article): Northwest Cable News: "Local man opens unique mobile therapy unit to help physically disabled": http://www.nwcn.com/news/local/spokane-county/local-man-opens-unique-mobile-therapy-unit-to-help-physically-disabled/333306503
- INTERVIEW (TV broadcast): KREM2 News "Local man opens up mobile therapy unit": http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/RPG-Research-on-KREM-2-News
- PROGRAM PLAN / RESEARCH - Engaged by third party to develop Interactive RPG on mobile devices for substance dependency rehabilitation program -
- VIDEO - Game to Grow Webisode Project Episode 1: What is Therapeutic Gaming? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BupSsM3iPjw
- TOUR - RPG Trailer Tour #1 - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/RPG-Research-on-KREM-2-News
- ARTICLE/INTERVIEW: "Dungeons of the Mind: Tabletop RPGs as Social Therapy": https://killscreen.com/articles/dungeons-mind-tabletop-rpgs-social-therapy/
- ARTICLE: Article: "PNW RPG Research – RPG Therapy": https://gastrogamer.org/2016/01/27/pnw-rpg-research-rpg-therapy/
- ARTICLE/INTERVIEW: "Fun and Function: How RPGs Can Heal Your Mind and Body": https://unicornbooty.com/fun-and-function-how-rpgs-can-heal-your-mind-and-body/ - Jennifer Partin (interviewed 2015, published 2016).
- VIDEO: Short summary video of The RPG Research Project & The Wheelchair Friendly RPG Trailer. A bit stilted in presentation style, but useful fast summary: https://youtu.be/zBDw8haKAWk
- PRESENTATION: Texas State University (TSU) / Living Games Pre-conference presentation video (with voice-over) in absentia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WsTnYmRRFM
- PRESENTATION: Eastern Washington University, Washington State Therapeutic Recreation Association (WSTRA) April 2nd, 2016 Presentation: http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/wstra-2016-rpg-research-presentation-20160329zzf3.pdf/view
- VIDEO (PRESENTATION): Eastern Washington University, Washington State Therapeutic Recreation Association (WSTRA) April 2nd, 2016 (pending upload), Cheney, WA.
- PRESENTATION: Pacific Northwest American Therapeutic Recreation Association (PNWATRA) January 2016 Presentation: (pending upload), Portland, OR. - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/pnwatra-2016-rpg-research-presentation-1.pdf/view
- VIDEO: 2015 Year-end summary of all that accomplished this past year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPbCMKVf2I
- VIDEO - Andy, Scott, Brian, Two Bards, Gamers, JQ, Happy Holidays - Wheelchair Friendly RPG Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53H3_XwGgM
- ARTICLE/INTERVIEW: - HBO's VICE Documentary Article Includes Interview of Hawke Robinson of RPG Research - "Denmark - LARPing Is the Future of Education"
- ARTICLE: "Hawkes-Robinson's RPG Research Project": http://elthosrpg.blogspot.com/2015/09/hawkes-robinsons-rpg-research-project.html
- CHAT LOG - #RPGNET Q&A on RPG Research & RPG Trailer. https://gmshoe.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/qa-hawke-robinson-the-rpg-research-project/ - http://rpgresearch.com/news/join-live-rpg-research-q-a-on-rpgnet
- ARTICLE/INTERVIEW: Michael Tresca 3 part interview of Hawke Robinson, founder of RPG Research & RPG Therapeutics LLC. - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/interviews/michael-tresca-interview-of-hawke-robinson-part-1-of-3
- AUDIO - 73rd Annual World Science Fiction Convention Panel - Game Mastering 101 Panel, August 21, 2015. Panel Members: Annie Bellet , John Welker , W. A. Hawkes-Robinson
- AUDIO - WorldCon 73 / Sasquan Panel - Game Designers Toolbox Panel, August 20, 2015. - Panel Members: Ken Burnside , John Welker , W. A. Hawkes-Robinson , Alan Stewart Moderator , Ari Goldstein
- VIDEO - WorldCon / Sasquan Panel - Gaming for Therapy, Gaming for Education, August 19, 2015. Panel Members: John Welker Moderator , W. A. Hawkes-Robinson
- ARTICLE: Autism & Role-Playing Games: http://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showtopic=322640
- VIDEO - Seattle Children's Hospital, Washington State Therapeutic Recreation Association (WSTRA) 16th Annual Conference, Presentation on - "The Therapeutic and Educational Uses of Role-Playing Games (RPG) as Intervention Modalities for Individuals and Groups from the Therapeutic Recreation Perspective" Certified by the American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA) for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/enhanced-video-rpg-as-therapy-presentation-seattle-childrens-hospital-wstra-con-16
- RESEARCH - Status Update - Gender Bias in the Gaming Community and Industry, Phase 2, Status Update - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/rpg-gender-bias-research-stage-2-status-update-1
- VIDEO - Zombie Orpheus Entertainment's, Creators of "The Gamers", Journey Quest" and other movies. ZoeCon II - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/rpg-research-speaking-at-zoecon-ii-video
- VIDEO - Live-Action Role-Playing (LARP) as Therapy - Google Hangout Panel - "LARPing as a Form of Therapy" - http://www.rpgresearch.com/news/larping-as-a-form-of-therapy-panel-hangout-broadcast-wed-march-26-6-00-pm-pacific - with Dr. Sarah Lynne Bowman, Chris Shell, Jamie Metzger, & Hawke Robinson. Hosted by Kristin Brumley of "Stay in Character".
- PRESENTATION - Eastern Washington University - Conflict and Barriers to Interpersonal Effectiveness and Role-Playing Gaming - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/rpgr-a0008a-hawkes-robinson-conflict-and-barriers.pdf/view
- VIDEO - Presentation on the use of Role-playing games to aid in the recover of brain injury clients for Eastern Washington University course on Recreation Therapy for People with Disabilities - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/had-presentation-today-on-rpg-therapy-for-tbi-clients
- PROGRAMS: List of 3 Autism Spectrum Example Program Plans - http://www.rpgresearch.com/blog/list-of-created-autism-spectrum-program-plans-utilizing-role-playing-games-as-intervention-modalities-from-a-therapeutic-recreation-approach
- RESEARCH - Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=WV1-YHMAAAAJ&hl=en
- RESEARCH - Academia.edu: https://ewu.academia.edu/HawkeRobinson
- RESEARCH - Researchgate.net: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/William_Hawkes-Robinson
- RESEARCH - Report Summary from RPG Research - Phase 1 - Experiences of Gender Bias in the Gaming Community & Industry, High Level Initial Report - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/gender-bias/gender-bias-in-gaming-high-level-initial-report.pdf/view
- PBS Idea Channel Mentions and recommends RPG Research for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWIdLt6Mco
- ESSAY - Anecdotal Experiences of Stigma Related to Role-Playing Games - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/rpgr-a0012a-anecdotal-experiences-of-stigma-orig.pdf/view
- ESSAY - Why People Like to Participate in Role-Playing Games - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/rpgr-a00008-why-people-like-to-participate-in-role-playing-gaming-activities
- ESSAY - Eastern Washington University - Analysis of the Report "Alienation and the Game Dungeons & Dragons" - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/analysis-of-the-report-201calienation-and-the-game-dungeons-and-dragons201d
- ESSAY - The Defamation of Role-Playing Gaming and Gamers - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/the-defamation-of-role-playing-gaming-and-gamers
- ESSAY - Role playing Games Used as Educational and Therapeutic Tool for Youth and Adults - http://www.academia.edu/3668971/Role-playing_Games_Used_as_Educational_and_Therapeutic_Tool_for_Youth_and_Adults alternative url: http://www2.rpgresearch.com/blog/the-defamation-of-role-playing-gaming-and-gamers
- ESSAY - Eastern Washington University - Updated program, RPG for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/rpg-adapted-for-the-deaf-using-asl
- MAGAZINE PUBLICATION - Other Minds - The Battle Over Role Playing Gaming - http://as01.mynetgear.com:7070/omzine/table-of-contents#section-1
- FRENCH TRANSLATION - Other Minds Magazine - La bataille autour du jeu de rôle - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/2007-rpgr-a00002-fr-la-bataille-autour-du-jeu-de-role
- ESSAY - Eastern Washington University - Potential Benefits & Deficits of Role-Playing Gaming - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/older-revisions/rpgr-a0002-potential-benefits-and-deficit-of-role.pdf/view
- VIDEO - Eastern Washington University - RPG/LARP for The Deaf & Hard of Hearing - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/rpg-adapted-for-deaf-using-asl-flyer
- PROGRAM PLAN - RPG / LARP for The Deaf & Hard of Hearing - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/older-revisions/rpgr-a0007a-deaf-american-sign-language-rpg-ver-2.pdf/view -
- Using RPGs to help reduce social isolation, important adaptation and cultural considerations for this population.
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE - Rpg Research dedicated website with acquisition of rpgresearch.com (and related variant domain names) -
- ESSAY - Eastern Washington University - An Overview History and Potential Therapeutic Value of Role-Playing Gaming - http://www.rpgresearch.com/documents/rpg-research-project/archives/an-overview-of-the-history-and-potential-therapeutic-value-of-role-playing-gaming
- RESEARCH & PROGRAM PLANS - Experiments in optimizing the tabletop role-playing game (RPG / TRPG) experience.
- RESEARCH - Beginning of "Gamer Floater" & "Gamer stereotypes self-fulfilling prophecy" hypotheses development.
- RESEARCH - Inclusion of diagnosed Autism Spectrum (ASD / PDD) participants in game sessions, concerted effort to help them work on better social skills, frustration/anger management, working cooperatively to problem solve, impulse control, etc.
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE - Sections on Hawke Enterprising, Hawkes Haven, Merp.com began to share, discuss, and aggregate RPG Research data, essays, public sharing, interaction, discussion, etc.
- RPG SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT - SuiteGM Software -
- ORGANIZATION MILESTONE - Creation of Merp.com (Middle-earth Role-Playing Community) - .
- RESEARCH - Running Tabletop RPG over Internet using CuSeeMe & Other Tools.
- RPG SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT - MerpMaker Software -
Begin using RPGs with incarcerated populations - Hawke using RPGs in Salt Lake County/City Jail
- RESEARCH - Merging 3 weekly full groups, 20+ players in overlapping shared campaign
- CONVENTION - RPGA, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition (AD&D1) - Organized, hosted, trained Dungeon Masters (DM), supervised event. RPGA-based 2-day convention, 60 participants. Millcreek Library, Salt Lake City, UT
- CONVENTION - RPGA, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition - Organized, hosted, and ran RPGA-based 12 hour mini-convention. 12 players. Hosted at home, Salt Lake City, UT.
- PROGRAM PLAN/CURRICULUM - Realms of Inquiry "A School for Gifted & Talented Children", Salt Lake City, UT - Learn How to Play and Run Role-Playing Games. Monday through Friday, 5 weeks. - (missing, searching).
- Hawke running 3 paid groups per weekend.
- ESSAY - Realms of Inquiry - "Role-playing Games, The Myths and Reality" - (8 pages) - (missing, searching).
- Hawke begins getting paid to run RPG sessions
- RPG PROFESSIONAL MILESTONE - Professional Game Master - Charging players for game sessions, 3 groups weekly.
- Begin experiments in optimizing the RPG environment and experience for maximum enjoyment levels from respondent surveys.
Hawke begins coding text-based RPGs on various platform.
Hawke begins playing AD&D periodically.
Hawke first introduced to D&D by cousin.
The world's first published Role-playing game: Dungeons & Dragons.
Email: rpgresearcher at gmail dot com
Phone/Text: (509) 481-5437
Essays/Papers Citing RPG Research
- 2015. "Role-Playing Games as a Structure for Teaching Art", by Jeni Crone. Columbia College Chicago. https://jenicroneartmat.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/jcrone_rpginart.pdf
There are now some fake and/or questionable articles floating around that claim to cite the efforts of W.A. Hawkes-Robinson (aka Hawke Robinson). While I hate to perpetuate their showing up in searches, some may be worth comment/correction.